Praised by natural beauty Meghan Markle. It can enliven your skincare routine while creating a more healthy, youthful appearance. A new study published by the New York Times shows that it can make you look 3 years younger. As it turns out, the secret to a firmer, younger looking skin might not only be in the products, but in facial exercises such as Facial yoga.
Intuitively it makes a lot of sense. If we are holding a lot of stress and tension in our shoulders, neck, and facial muscles, wouldn’t that contribute to a tired look? If regular exercise helps to keep the rest of our body in a good shape, wouldn’t the same principles apply to our face? The benefits of Facial yoga According to Facial yoga expert Danielle Collins, by regularly practicing Facial yoga you may notice one or more of the following benefits:
• Reduced appearance of lines and wrinkles
• Lifting and firming of the skin
• Improved skin tone
• Fewer headaches and less eye strain
• A release of stress and tension
• A new energetic appearance to the face with a healthy glow
• A holistic feeling of wellbeing which can benefit the mind and body
How it works The basic premise of Facial yoga is that it helps to increase blood circulation to the face, neck, scalp and hair, enriching every cell with more oxygen and nutrients.
At the same time, the technique supports the mind-muscle connection by using a variety of hands-on techniques such as massage, acupressure points, visualization and yoga breathing techniques.
According to Happy Face Yoga, one of the leading facial-exercise programs, the exercises help to restore the muscle tissue, elasticity and tone for a wonderful, glowing, youthful look. By effectively working the facial and neck muscles we help to reduce the impact of time, gravity and stress that may be showing on our faces.
Danielle Collins explains to DNA India that Facial Yoga includes: “regular massaging to improve blood circulation, remove toxins, and reduce puffiness and dark circles.
The massage techniques also increase collagen and elastin that are natural plumping agents. The relaxation method helps reduce the deep set of lines and wrinkles that are caused by stress and frequent squinting. Also, acupressure is used to increase circulation, boost energy, which reduces headaches and tension. The combination of these methods yields great results, giving a youthful appearance.”
Personally, what I really love about the practice is that not only is Facial Yoga incredibly relaxing, but it can help take everyday stress and tension off your face, leaving you with a glowing skin.
“Not only is Facial Yoga incredibly relaxing, it can help take everyday stress and tension off you face, leaving you with a glowing skin.”
Establishing a routine
Like with anything, it’s all about establishing a routine if you want to see results. We have created a Personalized Regimen and curate Facial Yoga videos based on your skin goals.
Take our skin quiz to see your recommendations and unlock access to our exclusive facial yoga library. I recommend incorporating Facial Yoga into your morning or evening beauty routine, that way it becomes a natural part of your day. It doesn’t have to take long, and it is best to use with a facial oil, like our Start Over Serum I suggest starting with just 5 minutes.
Let’s be honest, we’re all busy. When you have established the routine you can start to build up to 15 minutes a day. Why not begin right away with some of the simple exercises below?
Facial Yoga sequence
Eye Booster (may help reduce puffiness and dark circles)
1. With your hands slightly cupped, begin to lightly tap with your fingertips on the inner eyebrow right on the bony structure sitting behind the eyebrow.
|2. Continue tapping on this bony structure all the way to the outer eyebrow. Then tap all the way back to the inner eyebrow. Repeat 10 times.|
|3. Now continue tapping from the outer eye to the inner eye following the bony structure under the eye. Reverse direction and repeat 10 times.||4. Tap in a circle all around the eye following the bony structure under and above the eye. Repeat 10 times.|
|5. Rub your hands quickly together, back and forth to create heat in your palms.||
Melt the tension away
6. Cover your eyes with your hands feeling the heat on your skin and around the eyes. Hold for one minute as you so soften the whole face and let all the stress and tension melt away. Slowly remove the hands and blink your eyes open.s and forehead)
Headache - no more (help to reduce stress and tension around the eyes and forehead)
1. Place three fingers on the spot between the eyebrows (known as the third eye) and press in and down with a medium-light pressure for 30s.
2. Position your fingers (except your thumbs) at the center of your forehead in two parallel lines. Press your fingertips down as you move your hands in opposite directions towards the hairline. Repeat 6 times.
|3. Forehead separation cont.||
4. Massage the temples with your fingertips clockwise 6 times, and anti-clockwise 6 times. Feel the muscles around the eyes and temples soften.